Keychain whistle suggestions wanted.

doug4357

EDC Apprentice

Jhnsot

Hello outside of the fact of the big names like Atwood, Dave Sawyer and JLawson. Where each of these whistles can run you 45.00 to 200.00 the acme thunderer makes a nice metal whistle. They are used in England. Lawson is making a nice brass whistle for about 45.00. At least you can check them out. Good luck.

TonySal

EDC Master

gadget982

EDC Journeyman
I have a Vargo Ti, that I wear around my neck every day. It has the plastic insert, but it seems to be standing the test of time. Think I've worn it every day for a couple of years now. They go for about $12 US.

Edit:

Pic with quarter for size reference. I don't have a scale, but the whistle can't weigh more than a few grams.

Last edited:

totemeca

Apocalypse Ready

Cobra 6 Actual

EDC Scholar
@Cobra 6 Actual recommended a whistle to me a while back, I couldn't get the website to work and then baby happened and I forgot about it. Now I can't access the link any more. Perhaps he would be so good as to share the link again?
Hi Ben -- Sorry to hear that the whistle website didn't work. Do you remember the name of the company? Was it perhaps Acme, the maker of the Metropolitan Police "Bobby" whistle. If so, here's that site:

http://www.acmewhistles.co.uk/xcart/home.php

These can be purchased all over the world (just be sure it's an authentic Acme ... lots of cheap copies out there). The company now makes two sizes of these Police whistles. The original #15 was designed in 1883 and when tested could be heard for over a mile. The newer and smaller model, the #47, is more keychain-sized:

image.jpeg

The #47 is about 2.5 inches long, while the #15 is about 3.25 inches long. Cost of the smaller one should be about $10 to $15 or so.

Ben Rubinstein

Apocalypse Ready
Hi Ben -- Sorry to hear that the whistle website didn't work. Do you remember the name of the company? Was it perhaps Acme, the maker of the Metropolitan Police "Bobby" whistle. If so, here's that site:

http://www.acmewhistles.co.uk/xcart/home.php

These can be purchased all over the world (just be sure it's an authentic Acme ... lots of cheap copies out there). The company now makes two sizes of these Police whistles. The original #15 was designed in 1883 and when tested could be heard for over a mile. The newer and smaller model, the #47, is more keychain-sized:

View attachment 5728

The #47 is about 2.5 inches long, while the #15 is about 3.25 inches long. Cost of the smaller one should be about $10 to $15 or so.
Those look cool! No it was a company that had started up via kickstarter and you mentioned them when I asked about a brass whistle that was loud.

BOOM!

EDC Master
I have a Vargo Ti, that I wear around my neck every day. It has the plastic insert, but it seems to be standing the test of time. Think I've worn it every day for a couple of years now. They go for about $12 US.

Edit:

Pic with quarter for size reference. I don't have a scale, but the whistle can't weigh more than a few grams.
I heard somewhere that these tend to fall apart

I've had one attached to my backpack for at least two years now without a problem though. They also make on with a pocket clip by the way, very cool little whistle.

Water-Rat

EDC Scholar
I carry a Fox-40 classic on my keychain and use one on a neck lanyard when lifeguarding. It's a great, inexpensive whistle. However, its shape is a little awkward for keychain carry and it's a cheap hunk of plastic, so go some where else if you want something pretty for your keychain. But, if all you want is a cheap, amazingly loud whistle, look no further. And yes, you can easily deafen yourself with it if you're not careful.