Metal wallet/money clip Failure! 20 pics

Reverence

EDC Journeyman
#1
So I was working on making a metal wallet/money clip. Like a big money clip to fit my CCards and money. I decided to use the metal from an old saw that I haven't used in a long time. You can see parts of the saw in some of the pics. I started out making a paper template then stenciling it on to the saw. My first attempt I tried to bend up the side tabs by hand. Didn't work :( Then I decided to do it right.

First I annealed the metal so it would be soft and bendable. (heat it up and let it cool very slowly)



Then I cleaned up the edges and made sure the dimensions were correct. You can see the paper stencil in the pic



Then I started to make the die. I was going to press it so all the tabs would be bent up correctly. You can see the original failed attempt at the top.



Here it is all shaped up. Then I cut a hole in the middle, so I could slide the cards out.




I cut a piece of metal that is the same size as a credit card. I also made the piece that it would be pressed into.



Then I pressed it in using a vice.




It came out great. I tested it with a card.




Time to bend the top, so i build a little jig.




It was going good. A little crooked, but I tested it. Looked good.





BUT, then it happened. When I was trying to straighten it, I heard a crack. All that was left was to straighten it, heat treat it, and clean it up.

Here's the crack :(




Damn! oh well. I have enough saw blade left to make another. I'm not sure if I will.
 

mctacticool

Apocalypse Ready
#2
So I was working on making a metal wallet/money clip. Like a big money clip to fit my CCards and money. I decided to use the metal from an old saw that I haven't used in a long time. You can see parts of the saw in some of the pics. I started out making a paper template then stenciling it on to the saw. My first attempt I tried to bend up the side tabs by hand. Didn't work :( Then I decided to do it right.

First I annealed the metal so it would be soft and bendable. (heat it up and let it cool very slowly)



Then I cleaned up the edges and made sure the dimensions were correct. You can see the paper stencil in the pic



Then I started to make the die. I was going to press it so all the tabs would be bent up correctly. You can see the original failed attempt at the top.



Here it is all shaped up. Then I cut a hole in the middle, so I could slide the cards out.




I cut a piece of metal that is the same size as a credit card. I also made the piece that it would be pressed into.



Then I pressed it in using a vice.




It came out great. I tested it with a card.




Time to bend the top, so i build a little jig.




It was going good. A little crooked, but I tested it. Looked good.





BUT, then it happened. When I was trying to straighten it, I heard a crack. All that was left was to straighten it, heat treat it, and clean it up.

Here's the crack :(




Damn! oh well. I have enough saw blade left to make another. I'm not sure if I will.
If you do make another try bending it around a piece of roundbar, that might help with the cracking...
 

Reverence

EDC Journeyman
#3
I did. You can see the little jig I made to help with bending down the clip part. There's a round bar that I was bending the clip over.

I already bent the 90 degree angles. I really wanted the bottom edges to be sharp. So the cards would fit nicely. I was in the process of bending the clip part to make it square and straight. The tweaking of the clip put too much stress on the sharp bend.

I guess I could have used a map gas torch at that point. It would have made the bending very easy without stressing the other bends.
 

mctacticool

Apocalypse Ready
#4
I did. You can see the little jig I made to help with bending down the clip part. There's a round bar that I was bending the clip over.

I already bent the 90 degree angles. I really wanted the bottom edges to be sharp. So the cards would fit nicely. I was in the process of bending the clip part to make it square and straight. The tweaking of the clip put too much stress on the sharp bend.

I guess I could have used a map gas torch at that point. It would have made the bending very easy without stressing the other bends.
Oh yeah, i missed that... Then heating before tweaking should be the way to go...
 
Top