Off-Road Vehicle Picture Thread

dmak

into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
Staff member
Global Mod
4.Slow all the way. I am a big fan of that engine. IMO its one of the best overland engines. It is easy to work on with plenty of access all around the block. Makes on trail repairs a bit easier. I would love to get a 5.9 ZJ eventually though

Typed by my sad little thumbs on this tiny ass screen. Sorry for typos!

EDCP-MIKE

Administrator
Staff member
Charter Member
4.Slow all the way. I am a big fan of that engine. IMO its one of the best overland engines. It is easy to work on with plenty of access all around the block. Makes on trail repairs a bit easier. I would love to get a 5.9 ZJ eventually though

Typed by my sad little thumbs on this tiny ass screen. Sorry for typos!
Hard to beat a straight six for durability.

Kerberos

Semper Fidelis
My MIL blew the head gasket on her 96 XJ over three years ago...

She was coming home from a weekend at the lake (3 hour drive) and pulled over halfway because the temp gauge pegged out.

I told her to fill the radiator/coolant reservoir with water and I'd meet at her house.

Long story short, I tightened the head bolts down until I could get parts ordered...

Still, to this day, have not installed a new head gasket on that rig.

4.0 FTW!

dmak

Staff member
Global Mod
This one ain't much, but I was the first one in the neighborhood to try this hill...

[video][/video]
That's not a hill that's a bump in the road, hehe. I remember the black ice I'm the south. For all you southern boys, there's a secret to driving in snow that will change everything for you. Especially if you have 4WD. AIR DOWN YOUR TIRES. In snow and ice like that, drop your psi down to 15-18. Things will be sooooo much easier. Make sure to air back up when you start going over 30 MPH though.

Luck is the by-product of preperation and opportunity colliding. Stay Lucky!

EDCP-MIKE

Administrator
Staff member
Charter Member
That's not a hill that's a bump in the road, hehe. I remember the black ice I'm the south. For all you southern boys, there's a secret to driving in snow that will change everything for you. Especially if you have 4WD. AIR DOWN YOUR TIRES. In snow and ice like that, drop your psi down to 15-18. Things will be sooooo much easier. Make sure to air back up when you start going over 30 MPH though.

Good advice. Using the snow on the berm can give you extra traction as well.

dmak

Staff member
Global Mod
Good advice. Using the snow on the berm can give you extra traction as well.
Very true, having snow on ice is a good thing; gives the tires something to grab. Be careful though because that can also bite you in the ass if it is deep snow. Soft snow drifts will swallow a full-size truck and bury it to the frame. Sadly I have learned this from experience.

Revs

EDC Journeyman

My current project. '79 Chevy K10. Wanted short bed and found one for a great price. 350 V8 with manual tranny. Previous owner had put upgraded cam and rebuilt carb on it. New shocks and fairly new tires.

Plans include either a custom front bumper or brush guard, winch, Ham radio and CB radio, Golight Spotlight, and lockers. But, the light and lockers will probably be last thing done. CB is here waiting on antenna and mounting bracket. Trying to decide between Uniden and Cobra. I used to be an over the road trucker. I have a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk