Survival fishing kit

1willi4

Why do I carry a 45? Because they don't make a .46
I literally carry my EDC bag every day at work. I'm constantly either on or near the water. It just makes sense to have an emergency fishing kit in case I was to ever get stranded in the field. I have put some thought into what I'd put in it. Here it is.

-size 4, 6 and 8 Aberdeen hooks
-3 ea of different split shot
-4 med size hooks for trot line
-small spool of 6 pound line
-inside of 550 cord for trot line
-bobber stops
-thill bobbers
-artificial bait

I need opinions on a few things.
- what can I put all this stuff in besides a bulky box? I was thinking an Aloksak bag.
- what are your thoughts on an effective artificial bait? (the possibility of something spilling in my bag is a No No)
- do y'all suggest anything else for my fishing kit?
Let your opinions roll.

Coyote

Only Believe
Lunker City makes a soft plastic called a Helgie, meant to mimic a helgramite. It was one of my go to baits as an avid fisherman. It has caught everything from Smallies to Musky, Walleye to Crappie...not to mention thousands of largemouth. Just Texas rig the nose, put a split shot right at the nose, and jig. I'm thinking it would be a good EDC lure as it's small and effective. :)

Sent from Coyote's Samsung Epic 4G

EDCP-MIKE

Administrator
Staff member
Charter Member
1willi4 said:
- what can I put all this stuff in besides a bulky box? I was thinking an Aloksak bag.
Just thinking out loud here. What do you think about using a Tyvek envelope from the post office? Those things are rather strong, but I'm not sure about puncture resistance for the hooks. You would probably have to put the hooks and lures in a small tin/container and then place in the envelope.

1willi4

MIKE said:
1willi4 said:
Just thinking out loud here. What do you think about using a Tyvek envelope from the post office? Those things are rather strong, but I'm not sure about puncture resistance for the hooks. You would probably have to put the hooks and lures in a small tin/container and then place in the envelope.
That's a very good idea. I have to go to the post office today too.

1willi4

I just left the post office. I didn't see any Tyvek envelopes the size I wanted. That was a really good idea though.

1willi4

Drummerathome said:
Look next time your at wall-world they have some I think
I'd like to find one about the size of a quart ziplock bag

BobRenken

EDC Scholar
I would put the hooks in your sewing kit, awl handle or your knife handle (aaahhh remember those Rambo survival knives). I think i had 5 or 6 of those over the years growing up. Anyway i digress. nix the artificial lure and plan on catching natural bait. I think you will catch more fish and it will be less work than working that artificial bait. Plus on my trot lines i always used minnows or dough balls.

dfoland

Keep your powder dry
Here is my homemade kit. made out of a shotgun shell filled with hooks and sinkers then capped off with a cork that can double as a bobber. then wrapped with two different kinds of line. then covered in tape. cheap, small, and all u really need except bait.

Attachments

1willi4

Liberty's Teeth said:
Here is my homemade kit. made out of a shotgun shell filled with hooks and sinkers then capped off with a cork that can double as a bobber. then wrapped with two different kinds of line. then covered in tape. cheap, small, and all u really need except bait.
That's a great idea. I've seen 2 shotgun shells slid together. One over the other. Some of those 10 gauge shells that Mike has would be perfect. I also have an aluminum tin that my aircrew survival fishing kit was in. I totally forgot I had this thing. I just found it the other day. I'll post a pic of it tomorrow.

EDCP-MIKE

Administrator
Staff member
Charter Member
1willi4 said:
Liberty's Teeth said:
That's a great idea. I've seen 2 shotgun shells slid together. One over the other. Some of those 10 gauge shells that Mike has would be perfect. I also have an aluminum tin that my aircrew survival fishing kit was in. I totally forgot I had this thing. I just found it the other day. I'll post a pic of it tomorrow.
I like the idea of using spent shotgun shells to store your emergency fishing supplies. Wonder if fish like the smell of spent shotguns shells as much as I do?

dfoland

Keep your powder dry
I'm pretty sure a 20 gauge shell fits just snugly enough into a 12 gauge shell to seal good and stay together i don't have any 20 gauges so I'm gonna have to pick up a couple spent shells next time I'm at the range.

BobRenken

EDC Scholar
I really like the shotgun shell idea. Just remember the powder residue will set off the TSA sniffers if you take your edc pack.

EDCP-MIKE

Administrator
Staff member
Charter Member
BobRenken said:
I really like the shotgun shell idea. Just remember the powder residue will set off the TSA sniffers if you take your edc pack.
That's good to know.

1willi4

Sometimes you can find all plastic shotgun shells. No brass at all. You could punch out the primer, wash them and voila'...no more powder residue. That's a lot of work though. Most likely all you'd ever find in the all plastic shells are 2 3/4". I'd love a few long 10 gauge shells to do something with.

1willi4

Spinningfetus said:
As for putting them in something, tuna cans work well, just tape the lid back on. These guys have some nice fishing stuff. I am grabbing a gill net and maybe some of the auto hooks. They aren't really legal to use outside of survival situations up here so I can't really give you a review. http://www.bestglide.com/Food_Gathering.html
Tuna cans. That's a good idea. Also, there are some specialty can openers that cut the rim of the can. Doing so lets the lid actually seal back on the can. You could put a small bead of silicone on the lid and have a sealed container.

1willi4

I just found my old aircrew survival fishing kit. Most of the stuff isn't serviceable any more. I primarily want the aluminum container. It snaps together pretty tight and I can put a small desiccant pack (I can get them from work) in it to take care of the moisture. I carried that silly thing in my vest all over Bosnia and Somalia. Not sure why I had it in Somalia. All the fish there are as mean as the residents.

Attachments

stbob

EDC Journeyman
I need opinions on a few things.
  • what can I put all this stuff in besides a bulky box? I was thinking an Aloksak bag.
  • what are your thoughts on an effective artificial bait? (the possibility of something spilling in my bag is a No No)
  • do y'all suggest anything else for my fishing kit?
Let your opinions roll.
i use this old over the shoulder radio holder bag for my edc fishing gear...

When it comes to choosing a bait, i like keeping it real. Like cousin eddie would say, "nothing but the best"...

I forgot to stock my bag with wet wipes. Luckily i didn't catch anything so my hands stayed clean...