Tac vest

1willi4

Why do I carry a 45? Because they don't make a .46
What exactly are you going to do with it? Will it be your EDC instead of a pack/bag? Will you wear it all the time in order to conceal your CCW? It looks cool but a few things come to mind.
1. It screams "tactical". In my opinion a backpack or bag, even a military type wouldn't draw as much attention as a guy walking around in a SWAT operators vest.
2. If you have it on will you still be able to wear a backpack?
3. What will it do that a bag won't and vice/versa.
4. I feel that edc should be an "as discrete as Possible" thing. People automatically wonder, "what on earth is in the bag?"
If I was to wear a tactical vest then I'd just be asking for attention.
I'm by NO means trying to rain on your parade but that's just my opinion.

dmak

into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
Staff member
Global Mod
If you are looking for a daily wear edc vest I would suggest getting a travel vest. I think any edc carry,whether its bag or vest, should be a bit subdued to not stand out. I stopped carrying my "tactical" bag because I noticed people seemed to pay more attention to my bag. At work my bag was jokingly called the g.I. Joe bag by my coworkers. I started carrying a plain messenger bag to blend more with the crowd. Once I retire, I can see myself using a vest.

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/clothing/men's-clothing/jackets-and-vests/men's-classic-travel-vest

TactiCool

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Staff member
Global Mod
Charter Member
Unfortunately i have one of these vest and it was a big let down. The stitching was very poor and the materials had that "cheap" feel. I wore it a few times out shooting and it was ok at first but on the 3rd trip one of the pockets started coming off and the stitching started pulling out of the zipper. I agree with dmak, a vest is a great way to carry your edc. Many of my coworkers use them and love them.

Drummerathome

If it bleeds, we can kill it
That's what I was looking for. Actually it would hang in the closet as kind of a Go-bag part 2 to cut down on the stuff in the over the shoulder bag. If its gonna be cheap I'll have to pass. Thanks brothers!

dmak

Staff member
Global Mod
I use a condor chest rig plate carrier while operating and haven't had any issues, and I've tried to break my stuff. I feel they make a great product

AdmSlc

Stay Sharp!
I just got the Condor Quick Release Plate Carrier. I have ballistic plates being made for it right now.

Globemaster

EDC Scholar
I sold off a large Blackhawk backpack, and a Blackhawk standard type vest; so that I could change up my vest needs to a more 'modular' type system; this is a Condor® Vest; and I added a small multi pouch to the lower back side via the Malice system; and it looks like there will be plenty of room for other accessories, as I configure the vest over time; currently it holds six 30-round magazine nicely

#CS: Modular Chest Set

Description :
- 6 Build-In M4 Mag Pouch
- 2 Internal Mesh Pockets
- Webbing for modular Attachments
- Adjustable/Removable Chest Platform
- Internal Pocket with Webbing for modular Attachments
- Build-In Hydration Carrier (Bladder Not Included)
- Padded Shoulder Straps
- Adjustable Waist
- Import

#127: Deployment Bag

Description:

- Adjustable & removable shoulder strap
- Web carrying handle
- Modular attachment strap

Size: 6" H x 12" W x 5.5" D

Yokeman

EDC Master
GlobeMaster we have excellent taste. That is the exact same vest that I have...I will have to take a pic loaded out and post it on here.

TactiCool

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Staff member
Global Mod
Charter Member
Here is my Condor plate carrier. Its been used and abused and still looks great.

Attachments

dmak

Staff member
Global Mod
Re: Re: Tac vest

TactiCool said:
Here is my Condor plate carrier. Its been used and abused and still looks great.
How do you like the kangaroo pouches? I've been thinking of switching over to those

TactiCool

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Staff member
Global Mod
Charter Member
Re: Re: Tac vest

dmak said:
TactiCool said:
How do you like the kangaroo pouches? I've been thinking of switching over to those
I just got them last Friday but they they seem much more accessible than the one I was using. My old ones just stuck out to far and made it feel kinda lopsided. The kangaroo fits better and is much more compact. Here is a link to what I was using http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/MOLLE-122

moostapha

EDC Master
I like the video and the thought process, but I disagree with you a good bit. I run my stuff as slick as I can get it.

The #1 thing I wanted to be able to drop when actually doing things was the hydration carrier. Yes, water is obviously important. But, it's also insanely heavy. I can't really think of a situation when it wouldn't work just as well in a backpack that you can take off (without removing armor). Frankly, I'm not even really sure I like hydration bladders (as opposed to bottles). I've got some nice ones, and they just don't get much use compared to a hydroflask or similar in the backpack. Pretty much...if I can't take the backpack off to get water, I'm probably not in a position to drink the water anyway.

Running that much stuff on the front of the PC doesn't work out well IMHO. It's damn near impossible to go prone, and I really don't like so much stuff for the sling to get tangled in.

I don't like having anything with any bulk on the sides. But, I also run a belt. Part of that is to move some of the weight from my shoulders/ribs to my hips. And for redundancy (my "go kit" has 4 medical kits of varying sizes...ankle, belt, rear armor, backpack). After playing with a handful of different ways of doing it, my PC basically just carries 3 mags up front, some glowsticks on both sides, and QD medkit and buddy mags on the back (both of which are meant for other people to grab, not me).

The belt carries a sidearm, fixed blade, pistol mag, rifle mag, primary coms, flashlight, and a medkit.

Clothing (mostly pants) carry a survival knife, survival kit (mostly fire and water purification), and emergency coms. Plus the ankle med kit kinda counts.

The backpack caries longer-term supplies. Almost always water, usually ammo, some space for PPE when not used and SSE, repair/cleaning kit (there's some grease inside the rifle grip), batteries, and potentially some day-specific stuff.

Backpack on vs off does change the shoulder-fit of the rifle, but...it's really not that big of a deal...if things change too much, one click on the stock fixes it. The 2 sets of shoulder straps feels a little bulky, but it doesn't actually get in the way...it just feels wrong. I do have a couple options for backpacks. The smallest one was actually made by an Airsoft team that took things really seriously (like...real NODs for every member serious), but I can't remember the name. The biggest is my US Palm Gryphon EDC v3 (which isn't made anymore AFAIK).

It ends up working out really, really well. It was also really nice to drop almost 10lbs of heavy-duty nylon when I switched from a rig more like yours to the slick version I use now.

Doubleclaw

EDC Apprentice
Ferro Slickster with a Haley DC3R mounted with Swift Clips. I wear the PC under my regular sized shirt. It's got AT Armor STOP low profile plates in it, and weighs around 13 pounds without the chest rig on it. Conceals very well. I wear a High Threat Concealment tactical belt rig with an M9, two pistol and two rifle mags, IFAK and a radio carrier under an un-tucked shirt, and this setup works out very well around town.
Slickster, running slick:

Slickster with chest rig:

Doubleclaw

EDC Apprentice
The thing I've noticed about a lot of MOLLE gear with regard to concealment, or "gray man" type of deals is, there's a LOT of stitching, corners, edges and whatnot that can and will snag your cover garment and reveal that you are not as innocuous as you seem.

There is a big wave of "slick" plate carriers and other low profile gear that has hit the market, with more coming out every day, and I think this will be a net gain for everyone. You can take a Ferro Slickster, Spiritus Systems LV119 or any good quality "slick" PC and in five minutes, outfit it as a complete assault carrier or an concealment carrier, depending on what you got going on.

The days of the big, Blackhawk MOLLE vest are pretty much over. They have a lot of MOLLE real estate, sure, but they also carry with them the temptation to throw a million pounds of useless garbage all over them instead of a task-focused loadout that won't wear you out at the end of a long day.

Absent a PC, I use a Haley DC3R with a Flatpack as my basic loadout, and it keeps me honest about what I really need to carry around all day, because there's only so much room. The payoff is that it weighs a mere fraction of the old style MOLLE gear, and I've worn it for days at a time in the field without even feeling it, while everyone else was sweating and cursing under overloaded FLCs with every conceivable piece of unnecessary crap strung all over them.

There's a ton of nice, minimalist chest rigs and PCs out there now, and the way I see it, if you can do everything you need to do at less than half the weight, why wouldn't you?