The Adventures of the Rickety Cricket - Dmak's Jeep Thread

dmak

into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
Staff member
Global Mod
I've been building my overland rig with the help of some buddies over the last couple of years. About 6 months ago I got her trail ready. To say I have finished the build is ridiculous cause I'll be spinning wrenches on this thong for along time to come. The Mrs, Kauzy and I have had some pretty awesome weekends so far.

- The Rickety Cricket -

Plenty more to come once I get the chance to take them.

Typed by my sad little thumbs on this tiny ass screen. Sorry for typos!

dmak

Staff member
Global Mod
Awsomeness! Care to share some of the interior and equipment? ;-)
It will be a few days, but I can work something out. As you can imagine, her outriggimg is pretty extensive. Last year I got the rig stuck in 4 feet of snow at 10,000 feet in elevation. It took me 6 attempts and 4 weeks to get it off the mountain. Finally had to snowshoe in with a cradle mounted winch and a pull pal to get her down. I wont make the mistake of going out solo wheeling under prepared ever again.

BTW, 7 miles and 3000 feet of elevation climb in snowshoes while dragging 300 lbs of steel in a sled is one of the hardest things I've ever done.

So if there is anyone here that is looking for a personal trainer, I've got some great exercises for you.

dmak

Staff member
Global Mod
Wow! 4 weeks! I guess the Pull Pal works good in snow.

Sent from a faraway Galaxy. .....
The pull pal works everywhere. That thing is worth every penny I paid for it. I also got a smittybilt wasp anchor which works even better in the snow. I will never be caught in the jeep with out my winch and land anchor again.

The hardest part was getting access to the jeep. It was in the end of march and my dumb ass tried to "take a shortcut" over the high pass to get to my hunting grounds for some shed hunting. That day happened to be the day that the season changed to spring(well for a few weeks anyway). It was 22 degrees at the bottom of the mountain at 1pm when I started up. As soon as I hit the ridgeline the temps @ 10,000 ft jumped to 50 degrees and the snow went to slush. The rig sank. No trees for at least 400 meters. We dug for a few hours, started to drive out and it sunk 10 feet down trail, she was STUCK. Couldn't find anyone with a snow machine and got 2 trucks stuck trying to get to it over the next 3 weeks.

Fortunately the temps dropped and I hiked up half a day before a snowstorm rolled through to get the temps as low as I could. Pulled the Jeep out of its hole in less than 5 mminutes with the winch and pull pall. Then I had to wait till 6am (about 5 hours) for the snow to freeze so I could drive out. That was a tough recovery that taught me a lot about off road preparation

dmak

Staff member
Global Mod
These are shots from the first truck I got stuck trying to get to the cricket

Me slowly moving what was probably 2 metric toms of snow

7 hours later when we finally got that one out

Last edited:

dmak

Staff member
Global Mod
I am very sold on the 4.slow l6. I honestly feel my jeep is a little Sherman tank.. It is the perfect engine for for perfect trail rig.. Me and my 23 year old jeep go to some pretty remote places

Luck is the by-product of preparation and opportunity colliding. Stay Lucky!

mctacticool

Apocalypse Ready
I am very sold on the 4.slow l6. I honestly feel my jeep is a little Sherman tank.. It is the perfect engine for for perfect trail rig.. Me and my 23 year old jeep go to some pretty remote places

Its 23 years old ?? Wow, no wonder i dont see them much over here, the few that were sold probably rusted away...

dmak

Staff member
Global Mod
Its 23 years old ?? Wow, no wonder i dont see them much over here, the few that were sold probably rusted away...
Yup it's an early 1994 modelthat was purchased in August of 93... Im blessed with zero rust issues, and it only has 145k miles on it...I now keep it under a car port and only put about 2000 miles a year on it so I think I'll have this rig for a long time to come

dmak

Staff member
Global Mod
Finally got the front light bar, rocker panel and trail lights installed. Still need to finalize the wiring. I now have full 360 degree lighting above and below the rig giving me full terrain visibility in the darkest of conditions. I even added work lights in the engine compartment above and below the engine to simplify trailside repair.

backwater-otter

EDC Grand Master
Finally got the front light bar, rocker panel and trail lights installed. Still need to finalize the wiring. I now have full 360 degree lighting above and below the rig giving me full terrain visibility in the darkest of conditions. I even added work lights in the engine compartment above and below the engine to simplify trailside repair.

Holy crap!!!!! This is like my dream vehicle!!! Very very cool!!! I love the older "square faced" Cherokees!!!

dmak

Staff member
Global Mod
Holy crap!!!!! This is like my dream vehicle!!! Very very cool!!! I love the older "square faced" Cherokees!!!
Thanks, I'vebeen working on this rig for a little over 3 years now and it is my F#$@ing Off Road Demon. In terms of an all purpose go anywhere camping/hunting/mountain vehicles I couldn't think of a better option

The XJ is a great jeep, but my ZJ is a bit more refined. It is bigger, has better interior and has more articulate suspension. They are also cheaper. I only paid $500 for my rig and have only put about $2000 into it. That's cheap for a mountain toy.

dmak

Staff member
Global Mod
Been a while since I've posted. Been rigging out the jeep lately and decided to share my latest additions. Just added a new laptop/tablet mount that I acquired from work.

And here's a video of the jeep from last week.