The Adventures of the Rickety Cricket - Dmak's Jeep Thread

moostapha

EDC Master
What do you actually use the laptop/tablet mount for?

I have a mount for my phone that I use all the time (GPS, podcasts, etc.). But, I can't really figure out why I'd want more of a computer in the car.

dmak

into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
Staff member
Global Mod
What do you actually use the laptop/tablet mount for?

I have a mount for my phone that I use all the time (GPS, podcasts, etc.). But, I can't really figure out why I'd want more of a computer in the car.
I use it for tablet or cell phone mounting. It may seem overkill, but if you've ever been up a moab jeep trail and tried to maintain a stable mount for your tablet running your offline GPS, you'd really appreciate having a mount bolted to the frame. Every section cup, sticky mount, vent clip, windshield mount I've ever tried has failed within 2 miles of getting into the Backcountry. I dont see this mount failing where all the others have. In regards to the laptop aspect, I dont see myself using the laptop tray, unless I decided to take the laptop to do editing. It could be nice having a built in desk.

The biggest selling point for me installing it was that it was free, so why the heck not.

moostapha

EDC Master
I use it for tablet or cell phone mounting. It may seem overkill, but if you've ever been up a moab jeep trail and tried to maintain a stable mount for your tablet running your offline GPS, you'd really appreciate having a mount bolted to the frame. Every section cup, sticky mount, vent clip, windshield mount I've ever tried has failed within 2 miles of getting into the Backcountry. I dont see this mount failing where all the others have. In regards to the laptop aspect, I dont see myself using the laptop tray, unless I decided to take the laptop to do editing. It could be nice having a built in desk.

The biggest selling point for me installing it was that it was free, so why the heck not.
Makes sense.

I don't really do backcountry/offroad driving, but I can see how that works.

That being said, I really wish Google Glass was still a thing. The HUD for GPS was just better than any mount I've seen. Short of that, if a second person were available, I'd probably default to designating a navigator and giving them the GPS/map. It works really well if the driver only has to think about the road/trail and leave "where are we & where are we going" to a second brain.

nolaradio

EDC Grand Master
Makes sense.

I don't really do backcountry/offroad driving, but I can see how that works.

That being said, I really wish Google Glass was still a thing. The HUD for GPS was just better than any mount I've seen. Short of that, if a second person were available, I'd probably default to designating a navigator and giving them the GPS/map. It works really well if the driver only has to think about the road/trail and leave "where are we & where are we going" to a second brain.
Glass is still a thing, although they are targeting enterprise users more than the every day consumer now. https://www.google.com/glass/start/

moostapha

EDC Master
That's good to know.

I haven't worn mine in over a year. I got sick of people asking about it. I'd hoped that when they got a full commercial release, people would know what it was and at least come up with "how do you like it" or "please don't film me" as opposed to "what is that thing on your head".

It's nice to know it would probably still work.

It's still my favorite mobile device by leaps and bounds.

dmak

into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
Staff member
Global Mod
I can see the appeal to having an interactive HUD in glasses for certain situations. I'll be interested to see Google glass 2.0

moostapha

EDC Master
I can see the appeal to having an interactive HUD in glasses for certain situations. I'll be interested to see Google glass 2.0
Imagine a translucent map hovering in front of you with really minimal information about what to do next.

The GPS was its killer feature as far as I'm concerned.

Well...that and for a while I actually had notifications for some social media things active, so I'd interact with them the same way I would text messages...quickly and then it goes away, with no temptation to stay there and browse because it didn't do that. I also never felt the need to check my phone to see if I missed something, since it was pretty much impossible.