The history and / or evolution of the Tactical Pen.

Shinobi

EDC Scholar
I hope a moderator or administrator sticky's my post below to the top of the writing utensils forum. This took me a while to put my thoughts down. Everything below is true and 100% viable information.

Here is a quick history and / or evolution of the Tactical Pen. A lot of people have never heard of this information.. or at least all together..
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The tactical pen is usually made out of metal, and although it looks like an ordinary pen, it can be used for self defense. Methods included using jabs or “hammer fist strikes” to the eyes, face and neck and to other parts of the body. As well as augmenting holds.. like chokes , wrists and arm locks.

The tactical pen is based off of two other self defense tools.

The Yawara:
In old style Japanese Jujitsu, the Yawara was a wooden self defense tool, like a stick about 5 inches or longer. The end of the Yawara stick, "stuck out" about an inch from each side of the hand. A composite plastic type of Yawara stick was made for police officers in the 1940s by Professor Frank A. Matsuyama. Matsuyama also made an earlier version in 1937 . There also were also companies after this, that made metal Yawara sticks. Both ends could be used for striking attackers. Also, the yarawa stick could be used to initiate throws or reinforcement holds.

The Kubaton:
sometimes spelled as Kuboton or Kobutan is a self-defense keychain made by Takayuki Kubota and popularized in the early 1980’s. Like the Yawara, it was first presented more as a defensive tool to police. It is a small stick made out of composite plastic, wood or metal and is based on the Yawara stick. The tool is usually 5.5 inches (14 cm) long and 0.56 inch (1.5 cm) in diameter, slightly thicker or the same size as a magic marker, but smaller in diameter then compared to the Yawara stick. It also has a keyring attached to one side. The keys can be used as a flail to an attackers eyes , but the main area of striking is the opposite end of the tool. The Kubaton is flat on the end although pointed end models can be found as well. Like the Yawara, holds and locks can be used in conjunction with the Kubaton.

The Tactical Pen:
is based off of the Yawara and the Kubaton. The tactical pen can use the same techniques of the Yawara and Kubaton. A sharpie magic marker, metal “tipped” pens, plastic pens, and even small wood dowels of the same dimensions can be used as an alternate version to the tactical pen.

Legality: In most states, even though tactical pen draws less attention and is used for self-defense, courts of law will usually view the tactical pen as an offensive weapon (along with the Kubaton and Yawara). Awareness of this should be in the forefront of the practitioner mind. Using a regular metal tipped pen in the same manner can be just as effective and be less costly than commercially made tactical pens.

About Me:
I do not consider myself a “tough guy”, I just really enjoy Martial Arts and other self-defense systems to keep my poor health in check and to be able to protect myself and my family if needed.
I’ve been practicing Martial Arts / self defense systems for over 20+ years. I also have a strong background in certain security fields. For hard or external systems not including basic combatives: I’m 10th generation direct lineage from the original founder of Kenpo. I also received training in Nin-jitsu for a short period of time. For soft or internal systems. I am 7th generation direct lineage from the founder of Yang Tai Chi Chuan. I am also the 4th generation in lineage from the founder of Aikido. I was one of the first generation practitioners that were introduced to the Kubaton when it came out in the early 1980’s. Thank You.

PackinPockets

SeaDooin' whatcha gotta doo
Shinobi, First off thanks for the write up. I thought it was an excellent topic. I've pondered the use of one of these devices. Still am. Certainly a great option if one isn't comfortable with say a firearm or simply doesn't have the means or maybe there are situational restrictions. This has invigorated me to research more. Appreciate the thoughts.

Shinobi

EDC Scholar
PackinPockets said:
Shinobi, First off thanks for the write up. I thought it was an excellent topic. I've pondered the use of one of these devices. Still am. Certainly a great option if one isn't comfortable with say a firearm or simply doesn't have the means or maybe there are situational restrictions. This has invigorated me to research more. Appreciate the thoughts.
Hi.. Thank You.. no problem.. I hope you consider the tactical pen as another "layer" of protection. Even if you are a LEO, MP or a private security guard, I strongly feel that carrying a tactical pen can be a very strong self defense tool.. for pain compliance and also deterrent. It is true, that a lot of great big companies, that make these tactical pens cost "big money" (like $100 to even $200 USD). There is a review that I will be writing on my web site on hopefully more than one maker of tactical pens. I posted the link here in this Writing Utensils forum.