the wonderful word of nolaradio (now in Technicolor)

mctacticool

Apocalypse Ready
We got a little more than that overnight.

My neighborhood facebook has a thread about road conditions. Which is funny...because it hasn't been cold enough to freeze and won't get cold enough to freeze at least through tomorrow.

There are "slick" patches in parking lots where the slush builds up...if you'r dumb enough to turn the wheel hard and brake at the same time. It's enough that burnouts would be easy to do without serious tire damage but not enough to pose a danger unless you're an idiot.

The problem is that a lot of people are idiots. It wasn't that much worse than this when the whole city shut down for a week after the governor declared a state of emergency and sent everyone home...which turned a light snow into a catastrophe of a traffic jam that turned 45 minute comutes into 20 hour+ survival exercises and left abandoned cars on all of the interstates and highways for days.

For people not in the south...it's a different world down here when it comes to winter weather. Part of it is people over-reacting. A lot of it is that you have to go a long way to get any real practice driving in it. So, if the conditions are more slippery than rain, anyone who's kind of dumb and almost everyone driving a pickup truck is going to lose control either from not understanding that less input = better or because there's no weight over their rear wheels.

I've actually seen multiple people rear-end someone and try to explain it away by saying something like "I jammed the brakes and even pulled the hand brake and the car just kept going"....and the crazy thing is that I've seen cops rule it a no-fault accident (between one of those idiots and a parked car) because they didn't know any better. And about half of the times I've driven in snow down here, I've run a red light at some point because I saw a pickup truck coming towards me in the rear view....who jammed the brakes and didn't understand why his truck was all of a sudden going sideways.

Additionally, they just don't sell real winter clothing, houses aren't insulated properly, almost no one has backup heat of any kind, and the government overreacts to everything, which makes it worse. So, if it actually gets cold...people die in their homes from not understanding hypothermia.

I grew up in Minneapolis. Our heater went out jus about every winter, but we had a wood burning fire place. Mom's car was a Jeep that was 4x4...but needed a couple hundred pounds of sand in the back to keep it on the road. Every car had candles and blankets and ice picks and at least 12-hours worth of road flares and stuff....like everyone else's. Here...no one has any of that.

It really is a different world down here. I wonder if getting snow this early (it's usually in February or March) means we'll actually have a real winter. That could be interesting....
Just saw a motorjournalist on twitter check in from Atltanta and thought of you... I remember that news footage of a shutdown Atlanta, it was like a scene from the walking dead...

To me its just completely utterly stupid to not even do a little research about different weathers and driving conditions...

nolaradio

EDC Grand Master
Been a while since I've posted in this thread.

I'll have to get a picture of a current pocket dump soon. Been carrying pretty much the same things for the last few months.

Sent from the Bayou Bunker Command Center, Portable Unit #33, FEMA Region 6.

nolaradio

EDC Grand Master
It's a rainy day at work and we were supposed to have some pretty nasty weather move through. Had a good rain for a couple of hours but no heavy winds like they were predicting. So far it's been a letdown. But another band should be moving through within the hour. Been monitoring the local Skywarn net off and on while at work.

Tabasco

EDC Apprentice
It's a rainy day at work and we were supposed to have some pretty nasty weather move through. Had a good rain for a couple of hours but no heavy winds like they were predicting. So far it's been a letdown. But another band should be moving through within the hour. Been monitoring the local Skywarn net off and on while at work.

I've been using a Nagoya Na-771 on my UV-5R with much improved reception over the factory antenna. For the price point, it's one less reason to put off getting a license. Great radios.

nolaradio

EDC Grand Master
I've been using a Nagoya Na-771 on my UV-5R with much improved reception over the factory antenna. For the price point, it's one less reason to put off getting a license. Great radios.
I have a few of the MFJ antennas that I use with some handhelds. But after reading your comment the other day, I looked into the price of the 771 on Amazon. There was a coupon available and I have a gift card balance burning a hole in my pocket so I pulled the trigger on two of them. Cost me just at $10 out of pocket.
Tried one out on the Baofeng this past weekend and seemed to work pretty well inside a car, travelling at 70 mph through torrential rain. Allowed me to monitor the Skywarn net.

nolaradio

EDC Grand Master
I know of a lot of people that like to crap on the Baofeng radios. Most of them have at least one of them too. They're too inexpensive to not get one. If it gets rained on, dropped or lost, it won't break the bank to replace. My only complaint is that they are so freaking light that I sometime forget that it's on my waist. I still use my Icom HT's when working public service events. I know how to program them easily in the field if needed.

The price of these little radios make them attractive to new licensees too. If you just got your tech license, you can get on the air for way less than $100. First HT I bought was about $225 and the first dual band mobile I bought was almost $400. I wish these inexpensive radios were around in 2001 when I got my ticket.

nolaradio

EDC Grand Master
I've been carrying around a few handheld radios in the car that I picked up for cheap off of Amazon. I figured that one day I would have a use for them in a pinch. That day came last week. With no cell phones to communicate, they definitely came in handy.

The radios can be programmed to almost any frequency between 400 and 470 mHz. That includes GMRS and FRS frequencies. They are not type accepted by the FCC and I won't get into too many details here, just know where you are operating them if you decide to use them. Usually around $30 for a pair on Amazon.

I got tired of of the radios riding on the back seat and bouncing around so I made a trip to Harbor Freight to pick up one of their Pelican case knockoffs. Since I wasn't looking for something weather proof, this will do and is a whole lot cheaper than an actual Pelican case. On sale for $29.99 vs. but usually $37.99.

View media item 587

Once I got home, I took about 20 minutes to figure out how I wanted everything to sit in the case and below is the result.

The four radios use a USB cable charger which is why I included the USB power strip.

View media item 588

Under that first layer of foam are the desktop chargers and plug for the USB power strip.

View media item 589

I'm happy with how everything fit in the case. And the case is small enough that it won't be a burden to keep in the trunk or even in the back floor of my car.

In case anyone is interested in the products pictures, here's the links:

Radioddity R2 radios
Harbor Freight case
Sabrent power strip

nolaradio

EDC Grand Master
Scooped up another of these radios. It's not as cheap as the uv-54 but it chews the other three I have. I think this model actually replaced the uv-5r. The four radios will eventually go on another case like in the above post for a grab and go box for public service events. If rather hand these out for others to use than my $200+ Icom or Kenwood radios.

moostapha

EDC Master
Just bought a couple more UV-5Rs because apaprently they're being pulled from the American market (too powerful for FRS/GMRS), and our limited testing so far is positive.

One question, since I'm sure you know better..

I've been using the app "Ham Test Prep" or something like that. It's been a while since I've failed a test, but it still shows < about 75% of questions "mastered". Is it worth going ahead and taking the test. There aren't that many around Atlanta (2-3 a month, most with about an hour of driving), and I'd rather not have to do it twice.

Regardless, I'm probably going to be the first out of my friends to get a HAM license. So, it's still limited usefulness unless I can get other people to actually jump on board (I have zero interest in HAM as a hobby, just for communication a little farther than FRS/GMRS and less congested/cheaper than CB).