What do you use as your main keychain clip/hook? (McGizmo, carabiner, etc.)

ozarksphinx

Two Words: One Life
I'm just trying to get ideas for a new clip or hook for my keychain carry to attach to my beltloop. Right now, I am using a surprisingly durable generic carabiner; one of those that has a "DO NOT USE FOR CLIMBING" warning ;D. But now, I think it's about time to move up in "class". Give me some ideas, fellas! Some photos or links would be great as well!

ozarksphinx

DAGRON said:
S-biners - got a couple small ones on my 'everyday" keys and a bigger one on my emergency tool ring

http://www.niteize.com/collections/s-biner/products/s-biner-stainless-steel-1
I actually almost got one of these today at the hardware store. However, the stigma of mixed reviews held me from pulling the trigger. They were selling them right at the checkout stands in persuasively nice marketed Nite-Ize boxes for the smallest sized S-biner. Has it ever failed on you? I was tinkering around with one and the gates seemed sort of weak. But the steel on the main body was tough as nails. So I can't really judge from the 4 minutes I handled one.

1willi4

Why do I carry a 45? Because they don't make a .46
ozarksphinx said:
DAGRON said:
S-biners - got a couple small ones on my 'everyday" keys and a bigger one on my emergency tool ring

I actually almost got one of these today at the hardware store. However, the stigma of mixed reviews held me from pulling the trigger. They were selling them right at the checkout stands in persuasively nice marketed Nite-Ize boxes for the smallest sized S-biner. Has it ever failed on you? I was tinkering around with one and the gates seemed sort of weak. But the steel on the main body was tough as nails. So I can't really judge from the 4 minutes I handled one.
I have several of them. I've never had one fail but I'm just waiting for when they will. I have heard too many good things about them. Of course, I didn't hear anything bad until I bought them. I think they're fine for things like key keepers inside a pack. Or to attach your thumb drive to something. I cant rely on them for anything important. Too iffy.

averagezak

I really like my Maxpedition Keyper. Attaches directly to my belt instead a belt loop so it's very versatile. I use an extra split-ring to adjust the height where it hangs inside my pocket.

Attachments

ozarksphinx

averagezak said:
I really like my Maxpedition Keyper. Attaches directly to my belt instead a belt loop so it's very versatile. I use an extra split-ring to adjust the height where it hangs inside my pocket.
That's pretty nice looking, averagezak! Nice loadout. So, you basically use that clip with the gate holding your keys to ALSO attach to your beltloop?

averagezak

That's pretty nice looking, averagezak! Nice loadout. So, you basically use that clip with the gate holding your keys to ALSO attach to your beltloop?
[/quote]

Actually the nylon 'fob' attached to the gate clip is a loop itself with velcro closure. Your belt passes through this loop and the velcro closure allows you to add or remove the Keyper without unbuckling or removing your belt.

Attachments

EDCP-MIKE

Administrator
Staff member
Charter Member
averagezak said:
Actually the nylon 'fob' attached to the gate clip is a loop itself with velcro closure. Your belt passes through this loop and the velcro closure allows you to add or remove the Keyper without unbuckling or removing your belt.
[/quote]

Nice!

DAGRON

EDC Master
ozarksphinx said:
DAGRON said:

I haven't had any issues except the spring/keeper getting a little out of alignment here and there. I just use them to attach to a belt loop or bag, nothing too heavy duty.

DAGRON

EDC Master
averagezak said:
Cool, I saw those on their site and thought it was a pretty good idea.

ozarksphinx

averagezak said:
[/quote]

GOTCHA! Definitely looks good! Sorry for the lag in reply.. Been busy as all heck! Anyway, I'll look into that accessory as a secondary switchout. I ended up getting a heavy duty spring-gated swivel clip (basically the kind of clip on a leash that snaps onto your dog's collar) from a hardware store. I like it a lot, thus far! It fit the bill as far as fit & finish was concerned. Thanks again for the recommendations!

Globemaster

EDC Scholar
I use a few devices daily ... both are fast and quite easy to manipulate.

• Nite/Ize® S-Biner™ #4 75lb (33kg)

• Zak® ZT55 Tactical Key Ring Holder

Six

Don't play stupid with me.....I'm better at it
I too am a Nite-Ize fan. I change it up every couple of months, but I am currently using a KeyRack. However, I use a 5/16 shackle to attach to my belt loop and from there I hook the KeyRack onto it. Being in the trades, the shackle used to be quite handy considering it has a 1 Ton capacity.

Everyone's got nice setups, I like the flat Zak ZT55 Tactical Ring Holder that Globemaster was showin' off, I need to look into one of those.

http://www.niteize.com/products/key-rack

Kinda sad tho, my Leatherman Style CS recently decided it'd had enough and it left me. Gonna try the PS now, really useful and super compact.

Attachments

Six

Don't play stupid with me.....I'm better at it
Globemaster said:
I like that setup Six ... looks well organized :)
Thank you sir, because I have to carry a decent amount of keys I have to limit my EDC key ring carry. A little light (like 11 lumens), an 8GB flash drive (great to have on the fly), Blade/Scissors (my lost Leatherman :( ) and a watertight aluminum pill fob that can really be used to store anything from pills to tender.

I do however feel like a custodian sometimes when I walk ;D

1willi4

Why do I carry a 45? Because they don't make a .46
I just bought a grimloc from countycomm. I have it on the molle webbing on my Rush 24. While I'm at work I have my personal keys clipped to it. When I'm off work my work keys are clipped to it. No more, "honey, have you seen my keys?"