What kind of Axe do you have?

#8
Well, I needed a smaller easier to handle axe for around camp. I am also going to get into some bush craft stuff and didn't want to have to take my full size axe or wood splitting maul. This thing chops and cuts better than any "old school" hatchet I own. Plus you can throw it!! And it sticks in anything!! :D
Thanks on the compliment on the weave...that is the first thing I ever wrapped and it turned out better than I expected. As far as the double head, if you jack up the edge on one side and don't have the time to make it sharp all you have to do is flip it and keep going.
 

dmak

into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
Staff member
Global Mod
#9
Currently, I'm keeping it old school with my Estwing E24a leather handle sportsman hatchet. I've had this since 1995 and have no plans on replacing it any time soon. I love this all steel hatchet. I do plan on procuring one of those SOG tomahawk

 
#11
dmak said:
Currently, I'm keeping it old school with my Estwing E24a leather handle sportsman hatchet. I've had this since 1995 and have no plans on replacing it any time soon. I love this all steel hatchet. I do plan on procuring one of those SOG tomahawk
I have read that the Estwing models are great. I was going to buy a coleman camp axe, but I heard mixed reviews on them.. I may for the hell of it... pick one up tomorrow, depending on price.. but that SOG axe is high up on my xmas wish list. ;)
 

dmak

into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
Staff member
Global Mod
#12
You should seriously consider this estwing. I think you can get one at home depot or Lowes. They are only like $30 and they are amazing. This thing is indestructible. Mines been to hell and back for the last 17-18 years
 
#13
dmak said:
You should seriously consider this estwing. I think you can get one at home depot or Lowes. They are only like $30 and they are amazing. This thing is indestructible. Mines been to hell and back for the last 17-18 years
I do definitely like the estwing.. the way it looks. It's great to have a tool like that.
 

Foulwind

EDC Apprentice
#18
My cheapest Axe is a Harbor freight hatchet. $7 1 1/4lb head. I keep it in my truck. It seemed to sharpen up nicely (Its not shaving sharp) but it'll cut. I have a few " Ace Hardware" Axe's I use around my house. They are not expensive so if edge gets dinged up some, I'm not gonna loose my mind.
I got my dads double bit Axe as well.
Refurbished a Vaughan huing hatchet. Don't use too much, as the handle I used is a straight "Hammer" handle. Really didn't know what I wanted at the time, but quickly realized the straight handle is not comfortable in my hand.
 
Last edited:

1willi4

Why do I carry a 45? Because they don't make a .46
#19
I have an old Norlund camp hatchet. It was still in the package when I got it. It was made in the late 60's I think. I polished the head with some steel wool and then applied some gun bluing. I sanded the and stained the haft and then applied a few coats of boiled linseed oil. I had a friend make the leather mask for it. The picture doesn't do it justice.
 

Attachments

dmak

into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
Staff member
Global Mod
#20
1willi4 said:
I have an old Norlund camp hatchet. It was still in the package when I got it. It was made in the late 60's I think. I polished the head with some steel wool and then applied some gun bluing. I sanded the and stained the haft and then applied a few coats of boiled linseed oil. I had a friend make the leather mask for it. The picture doesn't do it justice.
I think it looks awesome. Great restoration. I picked up a double sided that I am currently polishing out as shiny as I can.
 
Top