What kind of Axe do you have?

BOOM!

EDC Master
I'm pretty sure that's an older Estwing too^^

I thought I only had two hatchets, but I found another big sucker in the barn last week:

I guess my uncle brought it over, he often dumps stuff here he bought but doesn't use.

It seemed unused, but it was probably laying in the barn for ten or 20 years or so so it needs some love. I took a couple of swings with it and was so impressed with it's performance that I decided to to spend some time on it one of these days.

@Jack, do you know the Ellix brand perhaps? I suspect it's just a cheap in-house brand from some hardware-store assuming my uncle bought it, since he's even cheaper then I am

BOOM!

EDC Master
Ellix is a brand you'd see in German garden and hardware stores, indeed the budget department you'd still find for often under 10,00 euro or so. Even Amazon.de still sells that brand.
That makes sense.

My uncle lives in Drente not far from the German border and they used to go shopping in Germany every first Saturday of the month back when that was the only Saturday when the shops would be open over there.

Thanks

I'm surprised the handle didn't break on me after it had been laying untreated in the moist barn for so long by the way. I did chip a chunk out of it with my serious lack of technique though, so I might re-handle it anyway just to be on the save side.

I want to put on a longer handle on the Husqvarna as well, the 750 gram head is much too heavy for the 15" handle imo.

The GB mini hatchet on the other hand is just perfect though, as was probably expected :)

BOOM!

EDC Master
@BOOM!

Thanks guys! It definitely has some years and patina. Only a wee bit of surface rust; sharpened up real well.
I almost bought one too but decided to go with the Husqvarna instead. They're really pretty but I read somewhere that the leather handles come off pretty easy if you let them get too wet.

Yours seems to hold up pretty good though, I'm starting to wonder if I made my decision based on the wrong review perhaps.

ManVsLawn

EDC Grand Master
I almost bought one too but decided to go with the Husqvarna instead. They're really pretty but I read somewhere that the leather handles come off pretty easy if you let them get too wet.

Yours seems to hold up pretty good though, I'm starting to wonder if I made my decision based on the wrong review perhaps.
it's been in the garage for at least 4 years unused....

The stacked leather handles are a bit loose in some areas, but overall they look to be held in place pretty solid - I coated the worst in some clear super glue.

I honestly have no idea how well it will hold up or if there is anything I can put on the handle to make it last longer.

mole

EDC Journeyman
it's been in the garage for at least 4 years unused....

The stacked leather handles are a bit loose in some areas, but overall they look to be held in place pretty solid - I coated the worst in some clear super glue.

I honestly have no idea how well it will hold up or if there is anything I can put on the handle to make it last longer.
there is a very cool restoration video on the youtube make-channel, diresta did it

here we go