what pistol do you carry for personal defense

didn't know where to post this, and didn't want to make a separate thread just for this...

i finally got some tfo sights put on my glock. and i ordered a set of talon grips that should be here friday. as well, i bought a 3.5 lb connector and spring kit. i put in the stiffer firing pin spring and 6 lb trigger spring.

dmak

into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
Staff member
Global Mod
I'm down to two carry options; Glock 23 w/SF x300u and/or Kahr PM9

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

The kel tec has seen many miles. It's been my summer carry for the last 4 years. Just got the micro 9 and doubt I keep the p11. The trigger alone sold me on the kimber. It compliments my full size and officer 1911's or hi power. I wanted all my carry guns to have same controls and layout.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
lately i've been thinking of carrying a backup, maybe in an ankle holster.

i was thinking of either the glock 26, since it will take the same mags as my 19; or a s&w model 642 with ct laser grips. i'm leaning more towards the revolver since it wouldn't have mag issues, since that's the most common issue that would cause me to go to a backup. plus, it's be lighter since it's an airweight. the downside is reloading speed. reloading a revolver is obviously slower than a semi-auto, even if you use a "speedloader" (which i would be using). and then you obviously have to carry 2 different types of extra mags/loaders. and while that isn't a huge issue, it would be another thing on the belt, along with the primary firearm/holster and extra mag holster for primary.

do any of y'all carry a backup. and if you do, what and how do you carry?

lately i've been thinking of carrying a backup, maybe in an ankle holster.

i was thinking of either the glock 26, since it will take the same mags as my 19; or a s&w model 642 with ct laser grips. i'm leaning more towards the revolver since it wouldn't have mag issues, since that's the most common issue that would cause me to go to a backup. plus, it's be lighter since it's an airweight. the downside is reloading speed. reloading a revolver is obviously slower than a semi-auto, even if you use a "speedloader" (which i would be using). and then you obviously have to carry 2 different types of extra mags/loaders. and while that isn't a huge issue, it would be another thing on the belt, along with the primary firearm/holster and extra mag holster for primary.

do any of y'all carry a backup. and if you do, what and how do you carry?
I used to carry a 442 in an ankle rig, it didn't bother me at all. I no longer use an ankle rig because I like to wear shorts at work. It's getting warm down here in GA. The Galco ankle glove was what I used.

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk

I am bias. I down right hate berettas. Sloppy floppy guns that are as big as a 45 when they only shoot 9 mil and who makes a safety that you have to push up to dis engage. I carried this in Afghanistan. Not a fan at all.
Truth on that! I put my life on the line twice with the Barretta, NEVER AGAIN. Failed me and I wound up grabbing an AK of a dead combatant in the fire fight.

dmak

into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
Staff member
Global Mod
I e been carrying this combo for the past couple months and dig it. Hunted a long time to get a folding pistol caliber carbine. I love having a rifle with me. Fits great in the back pack.

- Glock 23 w/ Surefire x300u
- Keltec Sub2000 w/ Streamlight TLR-4