what pistol do you carry for personal defense

charliefox

EDC Master
I e been carrying this combo for the past couple months and dig it. Hunted a long time to get a folding pistol caliber carbine. I love having a rifle with me. Fits great in the back pack.

- Glock 23 w/ Surefire x300u
- Keltec Sub2000 w/ Streamlight TLR-4

Very nice! I carried a combination like this during some executive protection details.

kye4some

EDC Scholar
I haven't seen a Sigma in ages, and that is the first one I have seen with a stipple job!
That was my first handgun, I’ve had it for over 25 years and that was my first stipple job. I went a bit heavy and had to go back and sand out all the hot spots. It’s had a lot of haters over the years but for me it’s been very dependable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moostapha

EDC Master
Interesting. I want to build something like that for my tac-14 that forces the bolt half-open on inserting and pulls it closed when you grab it. Seems like a great mount for the car when that happens, and I could even see possibly running something like it on a belt.

I probably won't get around to it, though. Seems a bit ambitious for a first kydex project.

sk33tr

EDC Master
hopefully, by this time next week, i'll be carrying a 1911.

i'm selling my glock 19 tomorrow, and want to get a 1911 with that money (plus some extra i'll have).

i've shot a 1911 only a handful of times, and it was a pleasure to shoot. granted, the one i shot had a trigger job done (very, very smooth) and i will likely have this done, as well. the guy that did the trigger job on the one i shot is my cousin's son-in-law. he has a business where he does custom work on guns (revolver, semi-autos, rifles, shotguns) and he's very good. he's also the one that made the leather holster for my glock. so i may get him to make me a holster for the 1911, too.

i'm honestly a bit giddy over this. even more so than when i bought the glock and shot it for the first time.

i'll be stepping up (or down, depending on your preference) from a 9mm to a .45 acp, so there will be a bit a learning curve as i learn to shoot something with more kick. but having shot a .45 before, i pretty much know what to expect.

Last edited:

dmak

into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
Staff member
Global Mod
hopefully, by this time next week, i'll be carrying a 1911.

i'm selling my glock 19 tomorrow, and want to get a 1911 with that money (plus some extra i'll have).

i've shot a 1911 only a handful of times, and it was a pleasure. to shoot granted, the one i shot had a trigger job done (very, very smooth) and i will likely have this done, as well. the guy that did the trigger job on the one i shot is my cousin's son-in-law. he has a business where he does custom work on guns (revolver, semi-autos, rifles, shotguns) and he's very good. he's also the one that made the leather holster for my glock. so i may get him to make me a holster for the 1911, too.

i'm honestly a bit giddy over this. even more so than when i bought the glock and shot it for the first time.

i'll be stepping up (or down, depending on your preference) from a 9mm to a .45 acp, so there will be a bit a learning curve as i learn to shoot something with more kick. but having shot a .45 before, i pretty much know what to expect.
Not as much of a curve as you think. You will do fine I'm sure.

I went the other direction. Started carrying a 45. Recently got rid of a 1911 to get a glock 27. I'm a fan of 40

moostapha

EDC Master
So, it looks like I'm going to have to give my 34 slide back to it's owner. I am disappoint.

I'm going to have to look into a 34MOS slide at some point in the future. 'till then, I'll just go back to my 17.

sk33tr

EDC Master
went and put the new pew pew on lay-away earlier today. i'd have loved to have paid for the whole thing, but other expenses prevented me from doing so. such is life.

i wound up getting the springfield 1911 loaded model in .45 acp. here's a pic of it from the springfield site (warning, it's a big-ass picture).

it comes with night sites, so i won't have to put those on there later. i held it in hand, and it feels really good. i can get a good grip on it, a little better than on my g19, so i should be ok in that regard. i also picked up 1 box of target ammo. i'll pick up a box of defensive ammo when i pick up the firearm next week. and i'll also try to get a few more boxes of target ammo so i can get to the range maybe next weekend and put a couple...hundred...rounds through it.

dmak

into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
Staff member
Global Mod
So, it looks like I'm going to have to give my 34 slide back to it's owner. I am disappoint.

I'm going to have to look into a 34MOS slide at some point in the future. 'till then, I'll just go back to my 17.
My next gun buy is going to be a g35 mos. Got to run one with an RMR a couple weeks ago and fell in love. I want a long barrel .40 MOS