what pistol do you carry for personal defense

dmak

into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
Staff member
Global Mod
Got to spend a couple hours in the ship today. I've been wanting to stipple my carry piece for a while now and finally decided to do it. Took a few hours. So far I am pleased. Messed up the area around the finger grooves a bit but I'm not bothered. I scalloped the area behind the mag release and am happy with that. Gives me just a little extra purchase without having to go with extended controls. Also undercut the trigger guard a bit. Gun fits in my hand a bit better now.

moostapha

EDC Master
I've been re-watching Bond movies lately. They're awesome to have on when I'm fake internet working.
And...it's made me want....

(wait for it)

A 43 with a threaded barrel and K can.

Because it's just better than the PPK/S and what Bond should carry if he wants a baby gun. (note: I'm not sold on the p365 despite it's obvious advantage)

Also....man movie magic is weird. The thing that's been hitting me lately...just how often he takes the silencer off (or "reholsters" inside his jacket) immediately after firing a handful of rounds. I'm pretty sure that means they're using just about complete barrel blocks for their blank firing guns so no gas actually enters the silencer. It's a very different experience shooting one IRL.

charlie fox

EDC Scholar
I've been re-watching Bond movies lately. They're awesome to have on when I'm fake internet working.
And...it's made me want....

(wait for it)

A 43 with a threaded barrel and K can.

Because it's just better than the PPK/S and what Bond should carry if he wants a baby gun. (note: I'm not sold on the p365 despite it's obvious advantage)

Also....man movie magic is weird. The thing that's been hitting me lately...just how often he takes the silencer off (or "reholsters" inside his jacket) immediately after firing a handful of rounds. I'm pretty sure that means they're using just about complete barrel blocks for their blank firing guns so no gas actually enters the silencer. It's a very different experience shooting one IRL.
Yep...ouch.

charliefox

EDC Master
So, Mrs Fox told me that I could buy a gun last weekend. We went and looked at a few and I narrowed it down to either a Glock 26 or 43. And the winner was....

Neither. I decided I was perfectly happy with the pistols I have, each fills a designated niche and I shoot all of them well. Guess I’m getting old.

nolaradio

EDC Grand Master
So, Mrs Fox told me that I could buy a gun last weekend. We went and looked at a few and I narrowed it down to either a Glock 26 or 43. And the winner was....

Neither. I decided I was perfectly happy with the pistols I have, each fills a designated niche and I shoot all of them well. Guess I’m getting old.
More money for ammo!

Grandpa Patch

EDC Apprentice
Springfield Loaded Lightweight Operator, Taurus Judge, Springfield XD 9 and Sig Sauer P238. These are my EDC handguns. No, I do not carry all of them at the same time. The .45acp is almost always an open carry weapon, the xd is both open and concealed carry, the Judge for wandering around in the desert. .410 000Buck makes for good 'snake shot' if you just can't get around, and they won't move' situation. It also works on the two-legged snake variety as well. The Sig is always concealed carry and depending on the day, situation, location, etc, it is either a main carry or a backup piece.

EDC_HGuns01 by Grandpa Patch, on Flickr

EDC_HGuns02 by Grandpa Patch, on Flickr

Cyclops

EDC Apprentice
3797.jpg

This was my every day 'til the new employer, he's not gun friendly at all, couldn't risk a print so I switched to a Sig 938

Lionheart, one of the first ones to get to the store years ago, LH9c, 10,000 rnd's plus down the pipe, no issues, custom grips I made, and a custom belt holster for cross draw, very slim profile

dmak

into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
Staff member
Global Mod
Been carrying this for a long time now. Carried a 27 for a while during the summer, and will do so again when it gets hot. Until then I'll go with the 23.

I've been happy with all my modifications and have mimicked these mods in all my other Glocks. I'm over the 10k round mark now without any problems. Only have about 1k through it with the Ghost internals and am pretty pleased with them. The trigger pull/reset is much smoother and a little shorter. That coupled with all the other polished internals have really smoothed out the action and trigger on the firearm. The magwell was a game changer for me, the gun fits in my hand much better with it on and mag changes are noticeably faster. Been thinking about adding an extended slide release.

Lights on defensive firearms is a big deal to me, so pretty much every defensive/protective firearm I have has a light mounted. I only have about 500 rounds through it with the Olight mounted, that just got added on black Friday, and so far am content with its performance. The size is awesome for its output. I like the rechargeable aspect and made a holster specifically so I could charge the light while mounted and holstered. I also mounted the Benchmade to the holster as my little GTFOM option.

I finally decided to texture my Gen 4 after doing it to 3 of my Gen 3 models and really liking it. I dint really have anything against Glock's RTF, but wanted to bring my Glock collection into congruence. I wish I had done it sooner, I prefer my texturing job to Glock factory texturing. I'm trying to decide if I should refinish my slide or just let get more beat up/battle worn looking. No rust yet, but A WHOLE LOT of wear and tear to the factory cerakote from me actually using it.

Anyhoo, this is what I carry. Don't see many more changes, this has been a fun, accurate, solid shooter in its current configuration.

Glock 23 .40sw with the following changes
- Trijicon night sights
- Olight PL-Mini
- Ghost 3.5 connector
- Ghost 6 lb spring kit
- Polished internals/feedramp
- Magpul magwell
- DIY stippling job/trigger undercuts

EDCP-MIKE

Administrator
Staff member
Charter Member
Been carrying this for a long time now. Carried a 27 for a while during the summer, and will do so again when it gets hot. Until then I'll go with the 23.

I've been happy with all my modifications and have mimicked these mods in all my other Glocks. I'm over the 10k round mark now without any problems. Only have about 1k through it with the Ghost internals and am pretty pleased with them. The trigger pull/reset is much smoother and a little shorter. That coupled with all the other polished internals have really smoothed out the action and trigger on the firearm. The magwell was a game changer for me, the gun fits in my hand much better with it on and mag changes are noticeably faster. Been thinking about adding an extended slide release.

Lights on defensive firearms is a big deal to me, so pretty much every defensive/protective firearm I have has a light mounted. I only have about 500 rounds through it with the Olight mounted, that just got added on black Friday, and so far am content with its performance. The size is awesome for its output. I like the rechargeable aspect and made a holster specifically so I could charge the light while mounted and holstered. I also mounted the Benchmade to the holster as my little GTFOM option.

I finally decided to texture my Gen 4 after doing it to 3 of my Gen 3 models and really liking it. I dint really have anything against Glock's RTF, but wanted to bring my Glock collection into congruence. I wish I had done it sooner, I prefer my texturing job to Glock factory texturing. I'm trying to decide if I should refinish my slide or just let get more beat up/battle worn looking. No rust yet, but A WHOLE LOT of wear and tear to the factory cerakote from me actually using it.

Anyhoo, this is what I carry. Don't see many more changes, this has been a fun, accurate, solid shooter in its current configuration.

Glock 23 .40sw with the following changes
- Trijicon night sights
- Olight PL-Mini
- Ghost 3.5 connector
- Ghost 6 lb spring kit
- Polished internals/feedramp
- Magpul magwell
- DIY stippling job/trigger undercuts

Nice write up. I'm still digging the sheath mount for your Benchmade.

Doubleclaw

EDC Apprentice
Right now, it's a well-worn but still very serviceable Beretta 92FS that I got issued when I got here. Back home, it's been this guy for the last five years, my trusty Colt O4091U Stainless Commander.