What time is it?.....Time for a watch.

Double Barrel

EDC Apprentice
I hope to get a little input/advise here.
I am wanting a quality watch. I have only just started looking, but I think I want to stick with a solar powered watch.
I don't really want to go over $200 for this watch.
A couple that have caught my eye are;
Mudman...Rangeman...Protrek 270... I like these for all the gadgets they have. Seems like they could come in handy in PooHTF and common outdoor activities/situations.
-I would like to see if there is an analog version with the above features, in my price range?
-Are most solar powered watches reliable vs battery powered?
I like the idea of auto, but I keep reading most in this price range lose or gain time. In some UNLIKELY stupid crazy situation...if I can't ask someone "what time is it?" ...in order correct my watch after some time. That may not be good..lol. I'd hate to lie to someone, after not seeing a human for months and tell them the wrong time...haha. However, I read somewhere...these may be the only watches to work after an EMP. So.....
I recently bought a Luminox and returned it because it had a trit vial no longer glowing and seller didn't advertise it. Seems people either love them or really hate them. What little time I had it...it seemed nice, but other than an older Citizen and my $25 Rolex that came from the interior of some guys coat on the streets of NYC... I've not had quality watches.
I know I can't get it all...but I would at least like to know I can depend on the watch in any situation I may put it through and do it for a decade or even better.. 3.
I'm not stuck on having the sensors and doodads and I've looked at a couple Seikos in my price range... They don't seem as "tough" as GShocks. Am I wrong?
I know it's basically going to come down to the features & almost didn't post for that reason ...but, any advise/answers from the watchperts? I'd appreciate it.

Sharaz_Jek

EDC Grand Master
I'd take a good look at the G-Shock line. I have one and I love it but it's not solar. To me, automatics really aren't a practical option for the real world. They don't keep time nearly as well as a quartz movement and a quartz movement can take a lot of abuse that an auto can't. I do appreciate autos for what they are, though. I have a Vostok diver that is my official water watch but for every day use I wear a quartz.

Just my $.02 on the quartz vs. auto debate. As for solar watches, I'm sure others here could fill you in on that.

Double Barrel

EDC Apprentice
I appreciate the input Sharaz_Jek.
Must not be anyone reading...but I'll reply anyway. :) I'm not busy at the moment.

It's going to be and has been a learning experience. This is the first I've looked this deep into watches. I honestly had no idea of the amount of choices.
After a little more studying, I went with Protrek PRG 300cm. Looks like it has more options than Mudman with the same Triple Sensor as Rangeman...but, w/separate buttons for each action. Not crazy about the camo band. I think I'll hate it actually, but I saw one with a nato and it looked nice. I liked the face the best. I'll swap it later.
I didn't know this model existed when I made my OP. It's not a small watch, but it seems a little slimmer and trimmer than the others.
These new watches are like a dagone computer for your arm. I've never really liked digital look...but I wanted to try something with sensors and didn't want to spend that kind of money on an Aviator or similar. Maybe someday. If it's like any other item that these forums make me feel I need, it'll be hard to stop at one.
DB

nolaradio

EDC Grand Master
I've been wear a G-Shock for skier ten years now. I want to get another one but the one I have just won't die. It's solar powered and sets itself to the atomic clock. I'll have to post some more info and a pic of it tomorrow.

Sent from the Bayou Bunker Command Center, Portable Unit #33, FEMA Region 6.

nolaradio

EDC Grand Master
It's a little dirty but works flawlessly. It's an older model, GW-810D. It's probably been replaced by a newer model by now. Been banged around while at work and play. Not one scratch on the crystal so far. Think I paid just a little over $200 new. If/when this watch dies, I'll definitely buy another G-Shock. I had half a dozen Timex before and they all died after a year or two. If I had a 9-5 job that I wore a jacket and tie each day, I'd get a more luxury watch. But I just can't see punishing a $1,000 (or more) watch each day.

Sent from the Bayou Bunker Command Center, Portable Unit #33, FEMA Region 6.

Double Barrel

EDC Apprentice
Thanks for posting, nolaradio. Sounds like that has been a dandy watch.
I haven't been too fond of the digital watches...but some are growing on me.
The 300 is suppose to be here tomorrow. I'll give it a try. Probably not as tough as the G Shocks...but hopefully tough enough & reliable. Most Protrek reviews I've read are positive.
I hope to find some G Shocks in local stores to check out the size difference of different models.